Support for gifted and talented students
We have increased the range of opportunities for gifted learners to experience success and wellbeing.
The Gifted Education Package builds on gifted learners strengths and aspirations, and provides them with better support, in and out of the classroom.
The gifted learners education package includes:
- Awards for school-aged learners (or groups of learners) who are gifted or have exceptional abilities to extend and challenge their learning and support their wellbeing. There are two rounds of awards each year, awarded in April and October. More information can be found at gifted.tki.org.nz/further-support/awards
- A programme of events and opportunities for gifted learners is available across the country. More information about what is available can be found at gifted.tki.org.nz/further-support/events-and-opportunities
- Additional guidance for teachers and kaiako to help them recognise and support gifted learners. To find out more visit gifted.tki.org.nz/further-support/guide-to-identification-and-provision
- Expansion of online modules which enable gifted learners to learn alongside like-minded peers. Contact email@example.com to apply.
- Support for the New Zealand Centre for Gifted Education to deliver and grow MindPlus (one day school) so gifted learners can access learning with like-minded peers. Applications, including subsidy options, are now open. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to apply.
Gifted learners and notions of giftedness are diverse, both within and across cultures. Gifted children can be found in any family and in almost any classroom. Gifted children may need additional support support their wellbeing.
If you think your very young child might be gifted, you can read about how you can support your child, and get in touch with organisations that can support you in the early learning section.
The primary school section provides information for gifted school aged children.
More detailed information can be found at gifted.tki.org.nz.
Last reviewed: Has this been useful? Tell us what you think.