New Code announced to support tertiary students in 2020
The Minister of Education has announced details of a Code of Practice for the pastoral care of domestic tertiary students that will take effect from 1 January 2020.
The Code means there will be a consistent approach to the welfare, safety and wellbeing and pastoral care of domestic tertiary students.
For the 2020 academic year an interim Code will be in place setting out a general duty of pastoral care that tertiary education providers have for domestic tertiary students, and specific requirements for providers that offer student accommodation. All tertiary education providers are expected to comply with the Code.
In relation to student accommodation, tertiary education providers are required to support the safety and wellbeing of students and improve the consistency of standards in student accommodation.
The general duty of pastoral care under the Code sets out requirements for providers to assist students to experience a safe, inclusive learning environment and to access the advice and assistance they need to maintain their own wellbeing. The six outcomes cover:
- safe and supportive learning environments
- advice, information and services to help students meet their basic needs
- accessing support for physical and mental health
- assisting students to achieve academically and prepare for further work or study
- inclusive learning environments which are free from discrimination and racism and connect students with social and cultural networks
- student voice in decision making
The Government will work with learners, whānau and the sector in 2020 to develop a long-term ongoing Code which will take effect from 2021.
Last reviewed: Has this been useful? Tell us what you think.