Help your child prepare for NCEA exams
NCEA and New Zealand Scholarship exams run from Friday 6 November to Friday 4 December for approximately 145,000 students. You don’t have to be an NCEA or subject-matter expert to support your child and help them reach their full potential.
It’s important to keep talking to your child, prioritise their study, encourage and guide them.
Top study tips
NZQA has 5 top study tips to help parents:
- Speak to teachers - teachers know what is happening at school and how your child is progressing. Ask for guidance when you need it - teachers know how NCEA works and understand it well.
- Provide a suitable study environment - students need a quiet, organised and well-lit space to study for NCEA exams.
- Balance study with free time - it is important that students remain in a positive frame of mind and keep relaxed. In addition to studying ensure your child is sleeping well, taking regular breaks, and staying in touch with their peers.
- Double check preparation - make sure you and your child know how they are going to get to their exams and what the exam room rules are. Remind them to bring their admission slips. Allow plenty of time to get to exams early and plan for what you might do if something unforeseen happens, eg, make alternative transport plans in case of bus or train delays.
- Know the exam timetable - NCEA exams are national exams so students do the same exam at the same time no matter where they live. Make sure you know what exams your child is sitting, and when, so that you can support them beforehand and talk to them afterwards about how the exam went.
There is more study advice on the NZQA website.
Get more NCEA information
There is lots of information available to help you support and guide your child on the NZQA website. Check it out for study advice, the exam timetable, past exam paper (for practice), exam room rules, what to do if your child is sick on the day of an exam, information on getting results, and more.
You can also download the free “NCEA Guide” app to get quick and easy access to key information, including the exam timetable on your mobile device.
Keep up to date with Twitter and Facebook
NZQA will be keeping parents and students up to date with NCEA information and reminders over the next few weeks. Follow them on Twitter - @NCEAexams and on Facebook - just search NCEA exams.
Last reviewed: Has this been useful? Tell us what you think.