Get a tax rebate on your school donations

Did you know you can apply for a tax rebate from Inland Revenue for your voluntary school donations?

You may be able to get a rebate of up to one third of the voluntary school donations you have paid if you:

  • have earned taxable income
  • lived in New Zealand at any time over the tax year
  • are an individual (not a company or partnership for tax purposes), and
  • have paid voluntary donations to a state or state-integrated school

You can find out more about this, and apply, by visiting the page about donations on Inland Revenue's website(external link).

If you haven't claimed your rebate for the donations you made in 2016 you can apply to Inland Revenue now.

You will be able to claim your 2017 rebate on any donations you make this year after the end of March 2017, so remember to do that too.

School donations are voluntary payments that you can chose to pay.  You can read more about them on our page on costs and financial assistance.

Share this story

Last reviewed: Has this been useful? Tell us what you think.