Choosing and enrolling at primary or intermediate school or kura
Choosing, enrolling and starting your child at school or kura so that they get off to a good start requires good information and support.
Starting school or kura can be an exciting time for your child. School provides wonderful opportunities for them to grow and learn about the world. Your child will have the opportunity to:
- make new friends
- learn new skills
- become more independent, as well as be part of a group
- explore new environments
- think about and plan for their future
- develop confidence, self-esteem and a positive identity.
The Ministry's special education team has developed a booklet, Starting School [PDF, 5.5 MB] to help your child get off to the best possible start at school or kura. It includes information on:
- how to choose the right school or kura for your child
- moving on from ECE or Kōhanga Reo
- getting ready for school or kura
- what to expect
- how special education works at school or kura
- what to do when things go wrong
- changing schools or kura
- preparing for secondary school or kura.
You can also find useful information in the Primary school area of this website.
Last reviewed: Has this been useful? Tell us what you think.